Saturday, May 20, 2006

The Festival for me

As most of you know I am planning a trip to China and another country. I was planning to go to Thailand but my brother thought Korea in general would be a fabulous way to see something else and avoid the heat and monsoon season in Thailand. So I went to the Lonely Planet website to check it out and I realized I would be in Korea too early. I am going to miss the festival that I need to attend. What festival?

Samcheok to Hold Phallic Sculpture Festival
Samcheok city government in Gangwon opens "World Penis Crafting Contest" from July 20 to the 25th by the banks of Oship Stream, Jukseo Bridge. The contest will be divided into two programs for the amateur (30cm X 10 cm) and professionals (360cm X 35 cm) to craft their own artistic pieces. Participants at the invitation in the professional segment include professional crafting artists from the United States, Italy, Britain, the Philippines, Germany, Canada, Japan, China, Thailand and Indonesia. The penis crafting dates back 400 years ago as a traditional folk event. Every 15th day of the first month of the New Year according to the lunar calendar, the local government has hosted the folk event in which the penis crafting works are dedicated to the goddesses of virginity. It has also hosted the penis craft contest in a prayer for rich harvest since 1998, when Jukseo Cultural Festival was held with a feature event in it. Side events for the world event this year will be the 2002 Samcheok World Cave Show. I hope you'll enjoy the festival in Samcheok.

Book me a flight!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Free Counter