Monday, April 03, 2006

Books and Movies

So my weekend was uneventful.I read a bunch and watched a couple movies. I also enjoyed the semi-fabulous weather. The rather boring NCAA games as well.
I finished the Life of Pi. Interesting story, I can see myself reading that book in Honors English class my senior year of high school and being asked questions like: "What kind of symbolism is this?" or "What do you suppose he meant in Chapter 21 and22?" I read The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck. It is a an excellent story and there was a movie made in 1937 based on the book. I kind of paired it with reading Wild Swans (which I read last year) and applied the books together. They both do take place in China and although The Good Earth is one specific time period and Wild Swans is a little furthur spread out, they both discuss pre-revolutionary China at some point. I liked both books and recommend both of them I suppose I would recommend Life of Pi as well. If you want to borrow them give me a "Hey Now" and I will pass them on. I started The Secret Life of Bees and it is pretty good thus far. My favorite book I read in the past few weeks was Jim the Boy. Easy young-adult reading but very enjoyable. Throw me a "Hey Now" if you wanna borrow.
I caught a few movies, all rentals in the past few days as well. The Great Raid and Jarhead were both DVD rentals for me. If you are looking for recommendations, I would go for The Great Raid. It was a difficult movie at times to watch but very good. Most of you guys know I have a heart for the military men and this just broke my heart. I recommend the books that accomadate this movie as well (Ghost Soldiers and The Great Raid on Cabanatuan). The atrocities of war can truly amaze and disgust you. As for Jarhead let me tell you three things I thought while watching that movie 1. I am glad I was alone when I watched it. 2. I am glad I was alone when I watched it. 3. I am glad I was alone when I watched it. If you like movies along the line of Platoon, Full Metal Jacket and the like, sign yourself up for this one. It is a lot alike. There is not excessive violence in the movie Hurray! But what it lacks in excessive violence it makes up for in foul language and sexually explicit scenes and dialouge. So you can see why I was glad I was alone. I won't watch it again. I am not putting down the movie, I just would have enjoyed a toned down version, but then it would not have been as "real" as it should be. Anyway thats my opinion, take it or leave it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Free Counter