Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Trail Magic

I went (on what some hikers say is a record) of 6 consecutive days of trail magic. For all of you non-hikers out there trail magic could be defined as "assistance from strangers through kind actions, gifts or other forms of encouragment". Usually it's food. For me, beyond the food, it's the blessing of these people doing it out of the kindness of their hearts. They gain nothing with what they give me and I have nothing to offer them. I shouldn't be amazed at the goodness of my fellow Americans but I am. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.
It all started on yet another rainy day that was particularly chilling and out of the mist on the trail appeared John Hasty. We chatted on the trail for a bit and then he said the magical words: "I'll make you pancakes, eggs and sausage if you're up for it." Of course! So he finished his day hike and about 1/2 hour after I met him on the trail he made me dinner in my shelter. After such a cold chilly day it tasted wonderful. He even gave me peanut M&M's for dessert.
The next day I ran into a trail maintenance crew who gave me encouragement, a juicy apple and a yummy granola bar flavor I had not tried yet.
Day number 3 I went into town and received a bottle of water from a woman at the post office and lunch from a fisherman at the parking lot. The fisherman gave me salad fresh from his garden, ham and swiss sandwich and tortilla chips. It helped me get back on the trail. I also got two quick hitches into and out of town (which most people say is because I am a girl).
Day #4 I ran into a couple known as Flash and Hot Flash. They thru hiked the trail in '86. They gave me Little Debbie brownies and 4 Apple turnovers.
Day 5 I camped near some car campers who offered me Yuengling, red wine, steak, pasta with Parmesan cheese and fresh broccoli. That was the best trail magic so far.
Day 6 was bacon from weekenders.

The problem is my secret is out and people are calling me "the trail magic stealer" or they are trying to catch up to me so they can catch a little magic themselves.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thats Awesome bellz. Nothing better than realizing that "totally depraved" humans have generous and loving hearts. ~Jon

1:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Free Counter