Saturday, April 25, 2009

Virginia is for Lovers

At least that is what the bumper stickers say. Not that I see bumper stickers much.... As for hikers we may not all be lovers but we all tend to love Virginia. It seems the minute you officially cross the border into Virginia things get better. The trail does not seem to climb pointless mountains, you hike on old logging roads from time to time, the weather improves, and you can do big mile days without feeling nauseated.You see wild ponies, great vistas without nasty climbing, and some of the most well known landmarks on the trail. It's been a good week for me: it snowed only one day, rained two days, hit 87 degrees (at least) yesterday and on top of a mountain it rained, snowed, hailed, fogged, clouded and became sunny all at once. I often wonder how my body handles such weather changes. The toughest part of the week continues to be hiking on the rocks. I am so thankful everytime I think about "Rocksylvania" and the fact that I don't have to hike there. The rocks here are tearing my feet up but I try to keep a perspective compared to the feet of fellow hikers. Their feet are much worse off.

A few more "tips" for you:
1. As a lady hiker you grow leg muscles. As a male hiker you get scrawny.
I currently have the legs of a figure skater. I look down at them and think: "Sure, we can do a triple toe loop no problem. I mean look at those thighs!"
The more male legs I see on the trail the smaller they get. Sorry boys but men loose lean muscle on the trail.

2. The only part of your hair thats NOT greasy at the end of the week are your split ends.
I can brush through my hair at night (trying to prevent dandruff) and still my split ends are grease free. Yet I could style my hair into any position I want with the grease in the rest of my hair.

3. Hiker hunger can strike at anytime, but that doesn't mean you should always respond.
I was at the one shelter on the trail where you can order pizza delivered. A group of us did. A medium pizza. For each of us. Plus an order of cinnamon sticks (about the size of the medium pizza) to go with them. Well they forgot the cinnamon sticks so the delivery guy went back down the mountain and got us two orders. Needless to say, we all ate our medium pizzas and each ate half a pizza worth of cinnamon sticks. No big deal, I was really full but no big deal, right? Wrong. I then had to hike 7 miles to the next shelter with some pretty nasty climbs. What could be worse after that much pizza but having to put a tight hip belt on? To make things worse it made me super thirsty so I downed about two liters of water on the way. There was a whole lot of sloshing going on in my stomach and plenty of "vurping" all the way to the shelter. Went to bed without cooking.

4. When in town, fresh produce is the way to go.
Tented near a convenience store a bit ago. They sold tomatoes, green peppers and heads of lettuce. Went in with two other hikers and we made a salad using my pot and lid as bowl and cutting board, swiss army knives to cut and it worked out real well. I brought out my salt and my parmesean cheese while they shared their extra virgin olive oil for our dressing. Never has fresh veggies tasted soooo good. So you see, hikers don't always go for the fattiest thing they can find in town. Although we do calorie load quite a lot........

5. You can eat a lot and not feel guilty.
I did a big mile day a week ago. When I got to camp I got my water and cooked. I made a whole box of Kraft Mac and Cheese and ate it. I took two PACKAGES of nutty bars and ate them. I pulled out a fun size pack of skittles and ate them. I could have kept eating. I stopped because some weekenders were looking at me like I was nuts.

6. No, most thru hikers do not like Bill Bryson
This man left a rather bitter taste in the mouth of many a hiker. You write a book, the first half being funny, and complain that there weren't enought towns and hostels to stay at. You hgike 800 miles. You then go to the ATC (Appalachian Trail Conservancy) and apply for 2,000 miler credit. Tsk Tsk. The ATC does not ask for proof of the 2,000 miles walked, but they know he didn't. It really put them in a funny spot.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Free Counter